Care packages are a strong link between me and my husband and I always want to make sure that the ones that I send are from the heart and entertaining. The best packages are the ones that are fun to make and fun to open – sometimes literally (once I made a puzzle care package, but I packed it in layers and layers of tape, boxes, and ribbon – making it a puzzle in itself just to get open!) If your servicemember’s favorite thing is music, you’re going to love this care package idea!
For the love of music
- Compile a new CD (or use a USB drive) to include newer songs they have missed while overseas.
- Include books or magazines featuring their favorite bands.
- Pack a T-shirt with their favorite band or a music-theme on it (Bonus points if you spray it with your perfume/cologne).
Using Downtime to Play or Learn The Guitar
- Send a cheap guitar or even a smaller kids guitar – like the little ones sold in toy stores – same frets, same things to learn.
- Add Classical guitar music – either as CD or USB drive
- Complete training system (like Fretlight, which includes everything you need to learn to play).
If they don’t have a lot of downtime – or you’re afraid to send an actual guitar or instrument for them to play on – try some of these apps that will keep their skills sharp or just allow a little bit of fun.
And maybe consider taking up the hobby yourself – how romantic would it be if YOU learned their favorite song while they were gone? *cue: awwww…*
Coach Guitar: This free app doesn’t require any equipment and can be used on an iphone or iPad.
Tunewiki: Turns any mobile device into a karaoke machine by providing lyrics to the songs playing.
Sir Sampleton: This $2.99 app allows you to mix beats and save recordings, making it something that’s fun for all ages and skill-levels.
As always, don’t forget to send a little love in whatever care package you decide to send. Best bets are chocolate chip cookies, photos, cards and letters.