Each of us has our own rules for life. My sister never eats dessert after 8 p.m. My husband will only eat a banana before a 5k race. I have a very predictable routine in the morning that hinges on one simple rule: Don’t talk to me until I’ve had my first cup of coffee.
When it comes to coupons and saving money, I also have a few guiding principles. For example, a coupon must be worth my time to redeem it. I don’t get excited about 25 cents off 1 product coupons. But I’m always finding a way to use a $1 off coupon. That’s my $1 coupon rule.
There are items that I need to buy, but I won’t buy without a coupon. Those items include deodorant, razors refills, shampoo and conditioner, nail polish, hair products, face and body wash. I have learned that these items regularly have coupons available for them and I’m a fool if I buy without a coupon. It’s my plan-to-save-when-I-buy rule. (Confession: This was a tough rule to teach my husband.)
My final rule is never-buy-without-scanning rule for the commissary. Remember how I browse the list of available digital coupons offered through the commissary rewards card each Sunday night. That’s only the first step to savings.
Next, I need to remember to follow my rule of always remembering to hand my cashier my commissary rewards card. Without scanning my commissary rewards card, I can’t save money. You can’t save if you don’t scan.
Here are 10 commissary rewards card coupons every military spouse should clip before shopping at the commissary this month.
1.Save $3 on one 13-pound or larger bag of Purina Beneful Dry Dog Food. It can be any variety. Purina Beneful dog food is also on sale this month at the commissary. Use this commissary rewards card coupon to buy the original Purina Beneful, Healthy Weight or Healthy Puppy dog food.
2. Save $1 on any Mars brands candy. Must purchase 2 bags. Halloween is right around the corner. Save money this Halloween by buying M&M, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Twix or Milky Way Fun Size for the trick or treaters in your neighborhood.
This is my first Halloween living in base housing. Here’s the math problem currently rolling around in my head: There are 60 kids living in my neighborhood. How much candy should I buy to ensure that I don’t run out of candy on October 31?
The answer? A lot.
3. Save $2 on any OPTI-FREE Solution. Contact solution! Eye drops! Both of those items are included in plan-to-save-when-I-buy rule. Whenever there’s a coupon, I stock up on contact solution so I’m paying full price for something that I use daily.
4. Save $0.75 on MorningStar Farms Chikn Nuggets. Yes, I know this coupon is for less than $1, but I still added it to my commissary rewards card last night. Have you tried MorningStar Farms’ chicken nuggets? They are delicious. My children love them as much as the chicken nuggets at McDonalds. This commissary rewards coupon requires one purchase of a 8-count or larger package.
5. Save $1 on Newmans Own Frozen Pizza. Like MorningStar Farms’s chicken nuggets, Newmans Own Frozen Pizza is convenient cooking that tastes good. Usually convenience and flavor don’t find themselves together, but when they do, I’m the first mother to buy this product for my family.
6. Save $6 on Venus Razor Blade Refills or Gillette Blade Refill Package. It’s his and her savings, thanks to your commissary rewards card. Last month, you saved money when you bought the razor, this month you save on the refill pack. This commissary rewards coupon only applies to 6-count or larger refills and can’t be applied to trial or travel sizes.
7. Save $1 on Tide PODS, Gain Flings, Downy Fresh Protect, Bounce Bursts, Dreft Blissfuls or Gain Fireworks. Laundry detergent is another item that I wait to stock up on until there’s a sale or I have a coupon. The best combination is when I have both for extra savings.
Want to know the weekly manager’s specials at the commissary? Sign up for MilitaryShoppers newsletter.
8. Save $2 on any 6 Gerber Organic or Gerber Graduates Grabbers Pouches. These baby food pouches are the best invention for parents who need to travel with small children. When we flew from Japan to the United States with our 18-month-old daughter, the Gerber Graduates Grabbers Pouches were a lifesaver. They are easy to open, delicious (according to my toddler) and don’t require a spoon. I love that I don’t need to (and therefore, don’t forget) to pack a spoon and my kid can still feed herself. Now we use them on road trips as our no-more-messes-in-the-car snack.
9. Save $2 on Pampers Easy Ups Training Pants or UnderJams Absorbent Night Wear or Splashers Swim Pants. After diapers, the next step is training pants and just like diapers, they are expensive. Always check your commissary rewards card app before buying Pamper Easy Ups.
10. Save $1 on any 2 packages of Hefty cups. Make clean-up at your next potluck a snap with these convenient cups.