By Marguerite Cleveland
Many areas of the country saw a very long, tough winter this year and many of us have skin that hasn’t seen the light of day in quite a while. Summer season is rapidly approaching and it’s time to get your body ready for bathing suits and warm weather activities.
Your local commissary is a wealth of products that can help you get ready. I don’t usually think of a grocery store for beauty products but the commissary has such a large selection and at great prices. Here are some suggestions:
- Diet – You can start by just making healthy choices and shop the outer aisles which have fresh vegetables, fruits, meats and dairy. If you need a little nudge the commissary carries many popular diet products such as shakes and diet plans at significantly less than at a civilian store and tax free. There is also a large selection of protein bars and other diet friendly snacks.
- Exfoliate – After a long winter indoors with drying heat, it’s time to exfoliate your skin to remove all the dry, scaly, parts. The commissary sells many exfoliators and scrubs designed to do just that for your face and body.
- Feet – Don’t forget they will soon be in flip flops and the commissary has a whole section just designated for feet. There are moisturizers, scrubs, and an electronic foot file to remove callouses. There are also tools for a do it yourself pedicure. Your feet will thank you.
- Moisturize – There is such a variety of products for both your skin and face from many popular brands. Make sure to purchase a facial moisturizer with sunscreen to help project your skin from any sun damage. And if you already have sun damage look for products that target dark spots and wrinkles.
- Sunscreen – This is the time of year when the big sunscreen kiosk is set up at your local commissary. It has a variety of all the top brands and is a must for protecting your skin from a bad sunburn. There is also a good selection of products for children as well. Insider Tip: Every year I have seen generous coupons for savings on sunscreen so make sure you look for these at the kiosks.
- Hydrate – With it getting warmer it is important to stay hydrated. Flavored waters make getting in your 8 glasses a day not quite so tasteless. The commissary carries a variety of still and sparkling flavored waters.
So next time you make your food run make sure to stock up on your favorite beauty products. What is your favorite commissary beauty product?
Marguerite Cleveland is a freelance writer who specializes in human interest and travel stories. She is a military brat, a veteran and now a military spouse. Her military experience is vast as the daughter of a Navy man who served as an enlisted sailor and then Naval Officer. She served as an enlisted soldier in the reserves and on active duty, then as an Army Officer. She currently serves as a military spouse. She lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and two sons. Visit her website www.WanderWordsWine.com