How many of us have received an exciting phone call from our spouse with great news? A passed test. Or imminent promotion. Even better, do you have amazing news to share with your partner? A new family addition! Or pay raise at work.
Either way, you don’t have much time to plan an elaborate meal or maybe you don’t have the nerves to put together a 5-course spread. You JUST found out the news yourself. Tempted to make reservations at a fancy restaurant? Or order take-out?
Save money with MilitaryShoppers’ 10 great ideas for a delicious last-minute celebratory dinner at home.
- Homemade Pizza. Making your own pizza at home offers a special touch. It’s simple to bake a pizza at home with pre-made dough purchased at your military commissary. While you are at the commissary, don’t forget to pick-up sauce, cheese and your favorite toppings to create a scrumptious pie.
- Gourmet Burgers. Everybody loves a good burger! Grab some beef, turkey or veggie patties to grill and include your cheese of choice and burger toppings like bacon, mushroom, onions or anything else that comes to mind.
- Ice Cream Sundae. Times like this don’t happen often! If you can’t have the fancy dinner, celebrate with an elaborate dessert. It’s easy to put together a tasty and huge ice cream sundae on a budget. You can splurge and eat it first, especially if you are eating for two.
- Macaroni and Cheese. Add bacon, spinach or anything else that you love to this traditional American dish.
- Chicken and Rice. A can of cream of chicken soup adds flavor to the rice. Use it to cook the rice and grill chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Savory Beef Stew. Despite what you might know about making beef stew, you can quickly assemble a fast and affordable recipe. Check out the spice section for packets of beef stew mix, grab some meat and frozen veggies. There you go! Let it simmer and enjoy.
- Spaghetti and Meatballs. The pasta aisle gives you plenty of noodle choices, in case you aren’t a spaghetti fan. Your meat section will most likely have pre-rolled meatballs available for use or you can also try out the frozen food aisle. Drop those suckers in your tomato sauce to cook through (if you go the raw meat route, make sure they are well done before serving) and boil your pasta. Presto, a tasty Italian treat!
- Breakfast for Dinner. My husband LOVES his western omelet, no matter the time of day. Why not have a celebratory dinner that reflects his favorite breakfast meal? My man is also a fan of French toast, so I’d put together a nice egg and French toast dinner.
- Chicken Noodle Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Chicken noodle soup would be a perfect dish especially for the cool evenings. All you really need is chicken broth, celery, onions, carrots and chicken.
- Tacos. The spice section can help you with seasoning protein for a delicious South-of-the-Border meal. Pick up your favorite toppings like cheese, salsa or whatever else your taste buds desire.