Give the Gift of Experience
By Marguerite Cleveland
With less than two weeks to Christmas, I often find myself wracking my brain for a special gift for someone who is hard to shop for. It could be that teenager who only wants expensive tech gifts or someone who has everything. When you find yourself in this situation, give the gift of an experience. It makes a perfect gift and it is unique. It is a gift people really like just make sure you tailor it to their interests. Here are some options:
- Zoo or Aquarium Membership – This is perfect for a family and is something they can enjoy over and over again all year round.
- iFly Indoor Skydiving – This company has locations all over the country and offers cool experience for an adrenaline junky. Bonus you can often snag a deal on gift certificates at Costco.
- Distilling – Many craft distillers offer tours and tastings and some offer distilling experiences where you get to make your own batch. Super cool activity for a bourbon whiskey lover.
- Cooking Class – We all have that relative or friend who is glued to the Cooking Channel and never misses an episode of chopped. A cooking class makes a great gift. Look in your local area, restaurants, schools and personal chefs are a great place to start or contact your local tourism bureau. Fun classes include fresh pasta making or learn how to make macarons. So many options.
- Day Trip – Check with Outdoor Rec or MWR at your local duty stations. Many offer fun day trips such as white water rafting or ski trips. Lots of fun and a great way to meet new people.
- Indoor Shooting Range – I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love to shoot and if they haven’t it is fun to learn. You can give shooting classes or time at the range. Purchase extra ammo to wrap up.
- Ziplining or bungee jumping – Another experience for the adrenaline junky. Places to zipline are popping up all over the country and are not just in vacation spots anymore. Just make sure your recipient is not afraid of heights.
- Specialty Dinner – Another great foodie gift. Many restaurants will offer special meals throughout the year that highlight local produce like a farm to table meal. Wine dinners are also popular where a local chef flexes his culinary muscles and prepares a meal to pair perfectly with a selection of wines.
- Groupon – This is a great place to go for last minute gifts of experiences. I often find great ideas for things to do locally but also in other towns. Checking in my area and everything from Escape Rooms, Paintball, Go Karting and quite a few things on this list pop up. Great gift at a great discount.
So don’t despair if you haven’t found the perfect gift. A present of an experience is sure to be a hit. What is your favorite experience gift? Post in the comments.
Marguerite Cleveland is a freelance writer who specializes in human interest and travel stories. She is a military brat, a veteran and now a military spouse. Her military experience is vast as the daughter of a Navy man who served as an enlisted sailor and then Naval Officer. She served as an enlisted soldier in the reserves and on active duty, then as an Army Officer. She currently serves as a military spouse. She lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and two sons. Visit her website www.WanderWordsWine.com