By Marguerite Cleveland
For more than 10 years the Defense Commissary Agency has brought the Commissary to National Guard and Reserve units through its On-Site Sale program. The slogan of the program is “Bringing the benefit to you”.
“For the past decade these sales have provided the commissary benefit to those who have earned it, but don’t live or work near a commissary, and its legacy is impressive to say the least,” said Willie Watkins, DeCA’s chief of e-business. According to Watkins, the program has held more than 930 sales events, served over 430,700 customers while saving them more than $18 million.
The sales take place all over the country and the agency is always open to bring the program to other locations. Here are some important details to remember:
- Sales are cooperative efforts between sponsoring Guard and Reserve units, and commissary store directors who together determine sale locations and dates. A contingent at DeCA Headquarters gives guidance and oversees the process
- Sales average two or three days and are open to all authorized commissary shoppers
- Sales feature a wide variety of commissary products largely determined by shopper preferences at each location
- Customers shop and pay for purchases much like they would at a commissary. There are also preorder and prepay sales – where customers order their groceries on-line and pay for them prior to pick-up at the designated location – and hybrid sales that are a combination of conventional and preorder/prepay
- Sales are easy to find. DeCA’s website has a Guard/Reserve page that lists sales locations and dates along with contacts for more information on particular events
There are a number of locations that have military Exchange services but no commissaries. DeCA is looking into the possibilities of partnering with them. The exchanges could serve as sales locations or pick-up locations.
Here are the dates of sales to the end the fiscal year.
Grand Forks – July 12, 2019 at Camp Grafton 4417 Hwy. 20, Devil’s Lake ND 58301
Robins AFB – July 18-20, 2019 at 1901 Terrell Mill Rd SE, Suite 200, Marietta, GA 30067
Malmstrom AFB – August 30-31, 2019 at PO Box 4789 HAFRC 1956 Mt Majo St Fort Harrison, Montana 59636
Robins AFB – August 15-17, 2019 at 1901 Terrell Mill Rd SE, Suite 200, Marietta, GA 30067
Grand Forks – September 7, 2019 Fargo, ND location TBD
Robins AFB – September 19-21, 2019 at 1901 Terrell Mill Rd SE, Suite 200, Marietta, GA 30067
Marguerite Cleveland is a freelance writer who specializes in human interest and travel stories. She is a military brat, a veteran and now a military spouse. Her military experience is vast as the daughter of a Navy man who served as an enlisted sailor and then Naval Officer. She served as an enlisted soldier in the reserves and on active duty, then as an Army Officer. She currently serves as a military spouse. She lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and two sons. Visit her website www.WanderWordsWine.com