Summer isn’t the only time to travel! Lots of families opt to plan their vacations during the winter months to save money. Select destinations and resorts offer off-peak prices that are perfect for any wallet. A winter vacation is also a nice change of pace when the temperature drops.
Military families should consider off-season vacationing too. In addition to possible reduced prices, there are significant discounts out there for families to utilize. Not to mention that the holidays might mean the opportunity for military members to take block leave, so it’s easier for families to vacation. My husband and I are vacationing a week before Christmas during his block leave.
Here is a list of 10 destinations and travel companies that offer discounts for military families.
Cruising the Caribbean
1. Royal Caribbean: My husband and I are using the military rate to cruise with Royal Caribbean for the second time. Cruising is a great way to travel and see multiple locations all at once. There are so many different departure ports that you can either drive or easily fly to one. For example, we’re going to drive from my hometown in Texas to sail out of Galveston. We already intended to fly from our duty station to my hometown, so it’s not too much trouble to travel to a departure port.
2. Carnival: There are other cruise lines that offer a military discount. Carnival also has wonderful deals with similar departure ports for families. Don’t forget your passport for cruising the Caribbean. Get started on the process now, if you are planning a trip to the tropics this holiday season.
Resorts and Destinations
4. Busch Gardens and Sea World: Sea World Parks and Entertainment has a military discount program called Waves of Honor. All Sea World Parks, including Busch Gardens and Sesame Place, have special veteran and active duty rates.
5. Gaylord Marriott Resorts: Marriott Hotels offer a military rate at all of their locations, but 2 resorts also offer military discounted tickets for Christmas shows. The Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville is hosting “A Country Christmas” with ICE! ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. The Gaylord National Resort, a resort in National Harbor, Maryland, has the show “Christmas on the Potomac” with ICE! featuring Frosty the Snowman. This show takes families on the journey of the beloved snowy character.
6. Disney: We can’t leave out Disney Resorts! Both Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort offer the Armed Forces Salute program that discounts park entry for military members and their families. There are also special rates for select resorts in the Orlando area that you don’t want to miss. No matter how old you are, Disney guarantees a great time.
7. Las Vegas: The City of Lights is filled with resorts that offer military discounts. The Tropicana Hotel has their “Hero Rate” program and mentions other discounts available in the area, including restaurants. Another resort group that advertises a military program is the MGM Grand. If you’re interested in another hotel, see if they have a military rate. Las Vegas is a military friendly city with discounts for several live shows too, just search around.
8. Puerto Rico: No need for a passport to this tropical location. Fort Buchanan, a U.S. Army Garrison, is just 7 miles away from San Juan. Military families can utilize the MWR for local discounts and deals. Major hotel chains are in the area, so check out the Double Tree by Hilton San Juan, San Juan Marriott Resort or Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar.
Interested in staying in a winter wonderland? Try a ski vacation.
9. Winter Park Resorts: West of Denver, Winter Park Resort is a winter getaway that sells military discounts for lift passes and discount lodging. If you’re stationed in the area, there are season passes available too.
10. Snowshoe Mountain: For those that are on the East Coast, Snowshoe Mountain has military packages for discounted lift tickets and lodging this season. Snowshoe is located at the highest point of the Allegheny Mountains in West Virginia.
If you don’t see a destination that interests you above, do some research on your area of choice to see if there are any discounts or reduced rates for military. Most likely, you’ll find something that you can use.