The Commissary is a grocery store staple for many who live overseas or live on base. Since it is a not-for-profit grocery store it has been known for its competitive prices and options. When you think about meal planning and healthy eating, do you consider the Commissary? Do you know everything your commissary has to offer?
- Meat and Cheese Platters – Talk about a shortcut for gameday, gatherings, or just plain desire for a charcuterie board for lunch or dinner. The deli in the commissary offers meat and cheese platters! Each deli has different rules on how far in advance you have to order, so ask at your deli counter. Pricing also depends on the meat and cheese types and brands chosen. Take the work out of making one yourself by ordering them. This is perfect for gatherings for sports events or hosting.
- Veggie and Fruit Platters – Just like the deli, the produce department offers fruit and vegetable platters. These also require advance notice, usually about 72 hours per personal use. You can also specifically request certain vegetables or fruit but what is available varies by commissary stock. The pricing is usually reflected in the weight or size of the tray. These are also great for gatherings, but also just to have the shortcut of having pre-cut healthy snacks on hand.
- Alternative Flours – If you are cooking with nut flours or gluten-free flour to avoid allergens or to add protein to your diet, these flours are on offer usually in the baking aisle but also in the health food aisle.
- Alternative Mixes. No more having to go to various stores looking for a favorite gluten-free mix. There are bread and pizza dough mixes ready to go in many varieties – almond and gluten-free – for easy making and baking. There are even muffin mixes as well for an easy shortcut if needed.
- Power Buy Boxes – If you are a meal planner, or have this goal in the new year, the meat boxes are a way to go to plan and prep as well as save money. There are 4 power buy boxes currently – economy, healthy alternative, crockpot, and tailgate. Each box has varied meat from ground beef, pork chops, top sirloin, ribs, and ribeyes depending on the box type. The savings range from 33 – 39% depending on the type. You can even ask the butcher for the ribs to be cut into smaller portions – for free!
- Health Food – Did you know there was an entire aisle of health food? There are snacks like Z-Bars and Larabars with fewer additives or additional ingredients beyond fruit or grains are available in the health food aisle.
- Alternative Milk – In the dairy section and the health food aisle, Almond and Coconut milk are available – both refrigerated and non-refrigerated. This is perfect for those traveling, especially if you are going to an area without wide availability.
Healthy eating and meal planning are common goals in the new year. Eating healthy foods on a budget isn’t always easy, save time and money with these gems from your local Commissary.