Defense Commissary Agency
1300 E Avenue, Fort Lee, VA 23801-1800
Tel: (804) 734-8000, Ext. 8-6105 DSN: 687-8000, Ext. 8-6105
FAX: (804) 734-8248 DSN: 687-8248
Release Number: 29-14
Date: June 12, 2014
Contact: Kevin L. Robinson, public affairs specialist
Tel.: (804) 734-8000, Ext. 4-8773
Giving ‘gift of groceries’? Think Commissary Gift Cards
By Jessica Rouse,
DeCA public affairs specialist
NOTE: To see artwork related to this news release, go to https://www.flickr.com/photos/commissary/14219917350/.
FORT LEE, Va. – No matter the occasion, Commissary Gift Cards are always available to help family members, friends and organizations give the gift of groceries.
“Our gift cards are versatile,” said Randy Chandler, the Defense Commissary Agency’s sales director. “They can help a young family in need, offer wholesome eating options to a young service member or make a terrific prize for organizations holding a contest.”
The cards, which come in dominations of $25 and $50, can be purchased by anyone at any commissary worldwide or online. However, only an authorized patron can redeem them.
Here are some quick facts about the Commissary Gift Card:
* The cards are available at all commissaries worldwide – on a rack at full-service, front-end registers – as well as through the DeCA website, http://www.commissaries.com.
* The cards expire five years from the date of purchase.
* Online orders incur a handling fee. These fees are not assessed to in-store orders.
* There is no limit to the number of gift cards that a purchaser can buy. However, DeCA officials recommend organizations and activities consider purchasing online if they need $500 or more in gift cards.
* Commissary Gift Cards can be shipped anywhere in the United States. Outside the United States, gift cards can be shipped to APO, FPO or DPO addresses.
* For customer service questions, call the toll-free phone number, 877-988-4438, which also allows the user to check the card balance.
To date, the commissaries have sold almost 440,000 gift cards.
“Offering groceries at great prices with multiple ways to pay are more of the ways we are making it easier for our service members and their families to enjoy the commissary benefit they have earned,” Chandler said.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Authorized patrons purchase items at cost plus a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. By shopping regularly in the commissary, patrons save an average of 30 percent or more on their purchases compared to commercial prices – savings amounting to thousands of dollars annually. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.
Kevin L. Robinson
Public affairs specialist (media relations) Defense Commissary Agency Fort Lee VA
Phone: (804) 734-8000 ext. 4-8773
Commissary Connection: www.commissaries.com/subscribe.cfm
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/commissary/ Milpages:www.milpages.com/pages/defense-commissary-agency/