It’s PCS season. Who just moved? I did and if your house looks anything like mine, it’s covered in boxes.
I had this great idea of having the movers do a full unpack so that they would take away the empty boxes and I wouldn’t have to pay to recycle them here. The movers arrived before 9 a.m. and left at 6 p.m. During that time, the only boxes that got unpacked were the ones my husband, my friend and I did. I was exhausted, they were exhausted and the movers were ready to be done.
Needless to say, all the boxes didn’t get unpacked and I have a house full of empty moving boxes. Now what?
While I saw it as a giant mess of boxes and packing paper, my 21-month-old son thought it was fantastic. He ran around the boxes, hid in them and jumped out shouting “peek-a-boo!” all day. It was nice to get a laugh and it made me think, there has to be something I can do with all these boxes. Did someone say Pinterest?
I thought I was a creative person; these people took it up a notch.
Here are 10 kid-friendly items you can make using moving boxes.
- Give your child a box of crayons and let their inner artist come out.
- Cut a box open and draw roads for your child’s cars to drive on.
- What little kid hasn’t dreamed of having their own race car?
- What’s the one thing you will have set up the night you move in your new home? Your TV. Drive-in movie anyone?
- Simple games like this will entertain your toddler while you unpack.
- How about an awesome elevator?
- This family actually had a cardboard box-themed birthday party. I love the train.
- A girl after my own heart. Hello coffee shop!
- How about your own town?
- You just moved and the kids left their friends and family. Why not make mailboxes and they can get excited about sending mail to them.
Do you have bubble wrap left over too? Make bubble wrap hopscotch. Who could resist the sound of the popping?
Some of these projects will only take a few minutes, whereas others will take a bit more effort. Be as creative as you want or just send your kid off with some crayons and let them use their imagination. You never know what they will come up with.