TRICARE has gone through several changes over the last several years. One such change is coverage expanded for retirees. The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017 changed TRICARE Standard to TRICARE Select and established a monthly enrollment fee. Enrollment fees for 2021 must be set up for payment in 2020. Starting January 1, 2021, Group A retired beneficiaries on TRICARE Select will be paying new enrollment fees, in a monthly or annual sum, in order to continue TRICARE Select coverage.
Who does this apply to?
Group A retirees on TRICARE Select. Group A applies to any retiree or sponsor who had an initial enlistment or appointment before January 1, 2018. AKA anyone who began their time in military service before January 1, 2018 and is a retiree.
Who doesn’t this apply to?
If you have TRICARE for Life, TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve, or TRICARE Young Adult – this does not apply to you.
What are the costs?
Individual Plan: if you are the only individual on your plan
- Monthly fee of $12.50 OR annual fee of $150
Family Plan: If there is more than one person the plan
- Monthly fee of $25.00 OR annual fee of $300
If anyone in your family is an active duty member, medically retired retiree or family member, or survivor of an active duty sponsor medically retired retiree, the enrollment fee will be waived.
Will the Catastrophic Cap Change?
The catastrophic cap, the most you will pay out of pocket per year for TRICARE covered services, will change to $3,500 from a previous $3,000. Paid enrollment fees go towards the catastrophic cap.
What Do I Do Next?
- Set up a monthly enrollment fee by December 31, 2020 to avoid a gap in healthcare coverage.
- Set up payment plans here.
- Questions? Contact your regional contractor.
What if I don’t setup a payment plan by December 31, 2020?
- You, and or your family, will be disenrolled from TRICARE Select – meaning you will not have TRICARE Select health coverage.
- You can request reinstatement of TRICARE Select within 180 days from disenrollment through your regional contractor.
- You can get healthcare through military treatment facilities if there is space available
If you are a Group A retiree on TRICARE Select – set up your payment plan today to avoid a lapse in TRICARE Select coverage in 2021!